10 tips on saving money in Las Vegas while still enjoying a few splurges and a great time!
1. Travel early to mid week. Saturday night can be double the price as a Sunday stay. Even avoiding staying both Friday and Saturday will save some cash. I have enjoyed a few Saturday to Tuesday, or Sunday to Wednesday trips. Also avoid going when there are major conventions in town.
2. Stay at moderate priced hotels, located close by to luxury hotels you may want to also spend time at. This can still give you a comfortable room with good amenities (think Park MGM) and still have easy access to the more expensive hotels like Aria, Bellagio and Cosmopolitan.
3. Join the players clubs (such as MLife), you will be sent emails with preferred room rates for future visits. You can get a significant discount, and you don’t need to spend a lot of money gambling – they just want you to keep coming back to Vegas.
4. Take advantage of happy hours – with the price of wine in Las Vegas, this is especially good for us wine drinkers. Many of them are only during the week, but some happy hours last all weekend. Take note though, that sometimes stopping at too many places for food and drink, can end up blowing the budget. Choose wisely. I like Sushi Roku over at Forum Shops at Caesar’s Palace.
5. Be selective with the quantity of drinks you order. Order a little less wine or beer (or stock up at CVS) and save some room for a great cocktail or two during your trip to savor slowly. Vegas has a ton of great bars. One of my all-time favorites is the Chandelier bar at the Cosmopolitan
6. Have a few cheap meals on the go (Earl of Sandwich, In n Out are good options), so you can enjoy a nicer meal at a great restaurant you really want to check out. One of my best recent splurges was the lovely Lobster Risotto at Hell’s Kitchen
7. Set a gambling budget and keep it small (or hardly gamble at all). Tip: if you play video poker or black jack at a bar top, your money will go further and usually if you put in a $20 and play steady, your first drink will be comped
8. Enjoy some free live music and karaoke over a couple of beers or drinks of choice.
Carnaval Court has become a favorite place to hang out in the afternoon (Friday to Sundays) and watch the fun and energetic 80s band The Whip Its.
Nearby, pop over to check out Karaoke over at Harrah’s. You never know what performance you will see, but it’s always a good time.
9. Play MyVegas for free on Facebook. I found the reward options were better in past years, but even with moderate play you can get yourself a comped drink or 2 for 1 buffet.
10. Stroll the strip and people watch. You will encounter a wide range of characters and people just out leisurely enjoying the streets of the city.